Is School canceled?
School is not cancelled. School facilities are closed to promote social distancing, however, remote learning and teaching will be taking place. Students will be given Off from instruction through March 17 so that the Administration and Faculty can prepare for a transition to online/alternative modes of learning. Instruction - using those new modalities- will begin next Wednesday, March 18 and continue until March 27 unless otherwise communicated.
What does remote or online learning look like?
We are still in the planning phase of this transition. Please understand that the requirements and expectations may change in order to better accommodate our scholars’ needs. However, one thing remains constant and that is that our number one priority is the well-being of our scholars and families in addition to their academic success. For the time being, all Middle and High School core classes will have a block schedule set-up, where students will need to logon and follow the directions of each teacher/class. We are continuously working to streamline the process and standardize the methodology. Non-core classes will "meet" as well, but in a slightly different format and schedule. These details will be updated and conveyed by early next week.
What will my student need to participate in online/remote classes?
- Access to a computer
- Access to Wi-Fi
- Access to video/audio hardware on your computer (ability to skype, zoom, etc.)
What if I do not have access to the aforementioned items?
If you do not have access to any one or all of the above mentioned resources, please let us know immediately so that we can assist with making alternate accommodations.
Will Elementary Scholars need to logon and use email for online learning?
Elementary scholars will participate in online learning in both synchronous and asynchronous classes. The majority of their assignments will be asynchronous, where they can watch videos, read a lesson, and do activities on their own time and not have a need to be online at a specific time. However, teachers want to keep a "face-to-face" connection with students as much as possible. They will organize synchronous check-in points for such opportunities. Parents will need to check their emails regularly for directions from their child(ren)'s teachers.
Are all other School events cancelled?
Yes. At the present time, we have postponed or cancelled School events to assist with the activities implemented community-wide to decrease transmission of the virus All extracurricular, co-curricular, athletic, and club activities have also been suspended until further notice. Please check our website regularly for updates on all events.
I have plans to travel abroad during Easter Break. Should I still travel?
You will need to make decisions for your own family about Easter break travel. For international trips, please refer to the list of foreign travel advisories published by the Centers for Disease Control. If you do intend to travel over spring break, even just domestically, please let our School Administration know. Note that you may be asked by Public Health authorities or School Administration to self-quarantine upon your return to Los Angeles and the re-opening of the Schools.
Please fill out this form to inform us of your travel plans.
How can you help?
- Social distancing
- Good hygiene - washing your hands often with soap and water and using hand sanitizers, especially after using the restroom or touching common area surfaces such as doorknobs, railings, and counter-tops.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid large-scale events such as professional sports competitions or smaller but highly social events such as parties.
- Travel - You will need to make decisions for your own family about spring break travel. For international trips, please refer to the list of foreign travel advisories published by the Centers for Disease Control. If you do intend to travel over spring break, even just domestically, please let your School Administration know. Note that you may be asked by Public Health authorities or School Administration to self-quarantine upon your return to Los Angeles and the re-opening of the Schools.
Enhanced cleaning, preventive measures, and education
- The facilities and custodial team have been ensuring on a continual basis that surfaces are disinfected and cleaned, and that soap stations remain filled.
- Hand sanitizers will be provided in each classroom upon return to campus.
- Flyers were added around campus about hand washing techniques and other preventative measures.
- This dedicated COVID-19 webpage was launched; students, faculty, and staff may access more information, preventive measures, frequently asked questions covering what measures to take when sick, and resources, among many other topics.
Who can I reach out to throughout the school closures
All academic/instruction questions should be directed to your child’s teacher and/or the appropriate department chair and academic director. For your reference.
Elementary Academic Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Middle School Academic Director: email@example.com
High School Academic Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Armenian Department Chair: email@example.com
English Department Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mathematics and Science Department Chair: email@example.com
Social Studies Department Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org